Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Designing is not for punks.

Seriously.  I have this cute little sketch (by cute little sketch I mean something that my 4 year old probably could have drawn -- I am not gifted in the drawing department) and know what stitch pattern I want where, but that leaves a lot in the leap to finished garment.

Especially a finished garment that is the intended size and will fit a person of that size.  That doesn't have ginormous armholes and sleeves.  Not that I would know anything about that. 

I had this romantic little notion of designing, that I would sit down with this gorgeous yarn and just have this garment develop on my needles just exactly as I had envisioned it.  I have been enjoying the gorgeous yarn, and it is proving to be very resilient as it is repeatedly frogged. 

But I'm enjoying it.  Really. I had never created anything before, I was a die hard pattern follower.  This is opening up a new world that will never be untouchable again.  I *can* do this.  It is not effortless, it is not easy, and it isn't perfect, but it is.  Something is being brought into being because I thought it up and am bringing it into reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment