Sunday, February 10, 2013

Chicken Wild Rice Soup - Mmmmmmmm!

So I had some wild rice and I wanted to make some soup. I searched for recipes and found one as a good starting off point here. I then proceeded to follow basically none of the directions and alter amounts and add ingredients.

Here is my version:

1/2c butter
1c diced onion (more or less, dice up a small one and call it good)
1c diced carrots (again, more or less, not exact - I used 4 mediumish carrots)
1t salt
1/2t pepper
1/2c flour
4c chicken stock (I used a box of broth from Trader Joe's, I love that stuff)
2 c water
1/2c wild rice, rinsed
2c cooked chicken, diced
1/2c cream
1/2c milk
more salt and pepper if desired.

Heat a large pot over medium heat and melt butter. Add onions and carrots and cook for a few minutes until the veggies are beginning to soften. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook for about a minute to cook the roux (butter/flour mixture) and keep it from having a raw floury taste.

Slowly pour in  broth, stirring while you do it to help incorporate the broth into the flour/veggie mix (a whisk can be handy for this, but isn't necessary). Pour in the 2 c water and the wild rice. Turn up the heat to bring the soup to a boil, then turn it down to low and simmer for about an hour. You want to simmer it until the wild rice grains have softened and started to open up.

When the rice is cooked enough, stir in the chicken and the milk and cream. Take a taste and add salt and pepper if you'd like. I  added about another teaspoon of salt here, but my broth was low sodium (not sure why I had that kind on hand, but I digress).

Serve and make lots of yummy noises as you eat it. This soup would be out of this world with some homemade bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment