Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

I originally found the base recipe for these on Money Saving Mom, but I am having a hard time finding the original link, so here is the version I make (this is double of what the original called for since the original was pretty thin, the picture above is actually quadruple - everyone in my house LOVES these).

1c. Peanut Butter
2/3c. Honey
1/2c Coconut oil
2c Oatmeal (I've been using old fashioned, but any kind should do)
1c Sunflower seeds
1c Raisins
1/4c mini chocolate chips

(you can use any mix-ins you like, you will just want it to add up to 2c.)

To save time and cleanup, I usually heat the jar of coconut oil in the microwave to liquify it and then pour it into my liquid measuring cup. Then, once you have that poured into your pot, you can reuse the measuring cup for the honey and it will slide out nicely instead of being a sticky mess.

In a medium pot over medium heat, melt honey, peanut butter, and coconut oil until everything is all melty and combined.

Take it off the stove and stir in oatmeal and your mix-ins.

Spray a 8x8 pan with cooking spray or grease it with butter and then spread your granola bar mixture in it with a spatula. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top and press them in gently so they adhere nicely (the back of a spoon works well for this).

Cover and place in the fridge for a couple of hours until firm. Cut into squares and enjoy :).


2 comments:

  1. No-bake granola bars? What an awesome idea! I'll have to figure out something to substitute for the coconut oil and give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I've been away form the blog for a while, sorry for the late response!

      I think butter could work as a substitute for the coconut oil, but I haven't tried it yet.

      Delete