Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Yumminess!



A friend of mine pointed me to this recipe for homemade graham crackers yesterday and I had to try it - I LOVE graham crackers. A lot.

Learn a few things from me:
1. Do not ignore that little voice that tells you maybe you should buy more parchment when you are at Target.

If you do, you will have enough for one cookie sheet only and will have to figure out another solution. For the record, these bake perfectly on stoneware.

2. Do not try to use your Vitamix to mix the dough. Don't do it. Seriously.

I was trying to avoid dirtying my mixer bowl since I wanted to make bread later and thought 'Hey, I always hear that the Vitamix can do whatever a food processor can do, I should use that'. The motor started smoking. This is actually impressive considering how powerful the motors are, I may deserve an award. It is also possible that there is a special way to mix stiff doughs that I don't know about - I used the regular canister, not the dry blade one. Not sure if I'm brave enough to try it.

3. Don't let your dogs taste these. They will become obsessed.

I would like to say, in my meager defense, that I did not purposefully give these to the dogs. One fell off my cooling rack as I moved it from the stove area to the island and dog #1 got one. Dog #2 got part of one when tiny boy had one in his hand and I couldn't tell if she licked it or not. When in doubt, I always get the kid a new one!

4. If you want these really crispy, roll the dough out closer to 1/8" than 1/4".

My thinner ones have a nice crunch, the thicker ones are chewy. I never thought of my inability to roll dough out evenly as an asset, but look what I learned without even trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment